Yesterday I spoke with Dr. Bill who is the Leukemia specialist but will no longer be his primary going into transplant. The plan now is to go straight into transplant from here so it should be a month away. He finished his last chemo yesterday and will have weeks to recover from this. This chemo is and has been a doozy on his counts. They are dropping now and will be bottomed out for about 3 weeks. I was given the option to go home while we wait. Sounds beautiful, but during initial diagnosis when he had this chemo we always came back with a fever and 2 times with a major infection that potentially could be life threatening if not treated quickly. Dr. Bill and I discussed our reasons of why staying at the hospital and going home both had benefits and disadvantages. Dr. Bill said that ” I would hate to lose him now”.
The bad part is that kids who undergo transplant have a 15% mortality rate. I want Kaedyn to go into transplant happy, confident and comfortable as he will need it. It has been hard for me to decide what is best so I left it to Dr. Bill to decide and so he decided for us to stay here in the hospital.
Please continue to pray hard for us. This is scary and life changing for all of us. This could or could not be the final piece to the puzzle for all of us. The “only chance Kaedyn has at a cure” as the team here says. I asked again today if I made the right decision to take that 15% of not surviving a transplant and go with it. They assure me that he would not survive without this.

4 responses to this post.

  1. Did you ask the doctors about my contributing bone marrow for Kaedyn? Just let me know I am more than willing to help in anyway I can.


    • Posted by Candy Hill on February 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

      Thank you so much for asking. They have a donor who is so willing to do anything to help. If that changes we certainly appreciate you wanting to help.


  2. Posted by Nancy Clyatt on February 21, 2013 at 6:54 pm

    I know that it seems like the cure is worse than the disease, but without this transplant there would be no hope. The only way to is to go through. The truth is that Kaedyn has a 85% chance of survival. That is huge! My father-in-law had a 5% chance to survive his heart attack. That was 20 years ago and he is doing great. I know this is scary for all of you but this child didn’t survive all he has so far just to stop his recovery at this point. I believe he is alive for a reason; a God given reason. Those who love him have willed him through so many crises, and the love of his family and friends who care has and will make all the difference. I believe that with all my heart, pray that in all my prayers and know that even though there is going to be dark hours ahead there will be a bright light at the end of this tunnel. Love you all and wish you peace as you journey this new path.


  3. Posted by Martha Smith on February 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm

    Thanks for the update. Oh, my bless your heart (s). I know it would be so good to go home, but I think as you know, this is the best decision. Praying for each day, new blessings, and the mercy and love and grace and favor of God upon each of you. Healing is coming with each new day. Praying for your strength, and for each need you have, sweet friends. ((soft hugs of His Amazing Grace)) love, Martha I like this verse, Psalm 138:8 The Lord is perfecting those things which concern us. (He is going before you and me and each of us, and preparing the way for restoration).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 164 other followers

%d bloggers like this: